As parents, we need to constantly stay alert for early signs of trouble when it comes to keeping our kids from risk. Some of the important warning signs you can watch for include:
- You and your child are having trouble communicating.
- You discover that your child’s friends have tried smoking.
- Your child’s grades begin to suffer or your child doesn’t seem to be taking pride in his or her work.
- You notice a lack of interest in school and community activities.
- Your child demonstrates a low self-esteem.
These behaviors may include a failure to take responsibility for actions, lack of confidence, and the inability to recognize love and support from family members and close friends.